As they say in Game of Thrones, Winter is coming and there are now fewer tourists in your city. On the contrary, Summer is coming and you want to offer more tours. Maybe you just have more time to give tours or you have new projects and you need to reduce the number of tours? In all these cases, it’s necessary to change the tour’s schedule in order to adapt it to your new situation.
But first things first, you have to understand what situation you are in:
- You want to change the schedule NOW without keeping the old one. We don’t recommend this because you’ll already have bookings from travelers. In this case, you’ll have to modify all these bookings and it creates a negative experience for the traveler. In addition, had you made the schedule change in advance, you could have received more bookings. However, this won’t happen since the new schedule was not yet available.
- Keep the old schedule until a specific date and have the new schedule appear after this date. This is the best option that we strongly recommend. When you know in advance that you will change the schedule (e.g. for the season’s change), it’s better to do it like this, a month in advance. This way, you will not have to modify the bookings that were made before the change and travelers will book only the dates/times available with your new correct schedule.
In this video we show you how to do it. You can also check out this article to change your tour’s schedule step by step.
- 1st case: Change the tour’s schedule NOW without keeping the old one (not recommended)
- 1. Go to your tour page
- 2. Click ‘edit tour’
- 3. Click on the ‘Timetable’ tab
- 4. Modify the days
- 5. Modify start times
- 6. Modify in each language
- 7. Save
- 8. Check your tour page
- 9. Modify and notify bookings made before the change about the new tour’s schedule
- 2nd case: Keep the old tour’s schedule until a specific date and have the new schedule appear after this date (highly recommended!)
- What’s next?
1st case: Change the tour’s schedule NOW without keeping the old one (not recommended)
In this case, once the change is made, only the new schedule will appear.
1. Go to your tour page
Click on ‘My tours’ and select the tour that will have the new schedule.
2. Click ‘edit tour’
On the tour page, click on ‘Edit tour’ to change the tour schedule.
3. Click on the ‘Timetable’ tab
Once you’ve clicked on ‘Edit tour’, click on the last tab that says ‘Timetable’. There you have the tour schedule as it is now.
In this case, the tour is available in Spanish on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday at 11h00.
If I click on English, I can see that the tour is available in English on the same days but at 4:00 pm.
4. Modify the days
First change the days, if necessary. For that, make sure that the days you want to do the tour have a blue background. To unselect one, just click on the day in blue and the color will be removed.
5. Modify start times
To change the starting time of the tour, just click on the arrow to the right of the time and a drop-down menu will appear with all the schedule options. Select the new time for the tour.
Now let’s imagine that you want to add a second starting hour. You then have 2 possibilities.
- Add an additional starting hour for all selected days in blue
- Add an additional starting hour for only one or several specific day(s)
1. Add an additional start time for all selected days in blue
If you want to add an additional starting time for all the same days, which means that you want to do 2 hours a day for these days, you can do it by clicking on ‘+ Add starting hour’, which is written in blue to the right of the starting hour. When you do that, another time field appears.
2. Add an additional start time for only one or several specific day(s)
If you want to add an additional starting time only for one day or several days, where not every day is selected, you have to click the gray button at the end that says ‘Add more starting times’. When you click there, a whole new line of days, same as the one above, appears and you can select the schedule you want.
For example, in this image, you can see that I have the tour in English on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday at 4:00 p.m. and that I have the same tour also on Friday and Saturday at 10:30 a.m.
If you made a mistake and don’t want an extra schedule like this, you can delete the additional schedule that you created and thus have only one line of days with the starting times you want.
6. Modify in each language
I imagine you’ve already done it, but you need to change the schedule in every language of your tour, one by one, repeating the whole process.
Remember to save the changes, if you don’t, it won’t work!
8. Check your tour page
When you click on “Save”, you will be brought to a page full of tips you already read when you became a guru for the first time. But, check it out and see if anything is new as we always update our tips with the latest suggestions we find useful for our Gurus.
Now, it’s time to go back to the tour page that you modified to check and see if the schedule was changed correctly, in each language of the tour.
9. Modify and notify bookings made before the change about the new tour’s schedule
As we wrote earlier, we don’t like this schedule change being made this way from one day to the next because there are travelers who already made bookings and you will have to change the schedule of all these bookings made before the change. It’s not an automatic process, so it may take a while to do so and also creates a negative experience for travelers.
You have to go to your bookings and in case you have bookings that are with the old schedule, you will have to modify them as we explain in this post.
2nd case: Keep the old tour’s schedule until a specific date and have the new schedule appear after this date (highly recommended!)
In this case, you will anticipate the schedule change, which has many advantages:
- It allows you to get more bookings. Travelers will already book the correct time when they are available for the date of their trip.
- You will not have to change the bookings that were already made: you will save time, gain professionalism and you won’t risk causing a negative experience for the traveler.
10. Keep the old tour’s schedule
What changes from the first case? Not much. It’s the same just that you have to keep both schedules at the same time, the old and the new. It will be like a double schedule. Don’t worry, in step 11 we will explain how to do it so that only one appears for the specific dates.
Look at steps 4 and 5 to see how to add the new schedule. Don’t forget after looking at step 6, that the 2 schedules are set in all tour languages, and step 7, that you saved it correctly.
11. Block events
Now you are at step 8 and you can see that the tour is offered in both schedules, the new and old. Now we have to change it!
To do this, you will have to click on ‘block events’ on the tour page as we explain in this post.
Let’s imagine that you only want the new schedule to appear within a month.
Then you will have to:
- From now until the date the schedule change takes place: Block the events of the new schedule until the date of the change.
- From the date of the change to at least one month after: block the events of the old schedule. We advise you to block them to at least one month after the date of the schedule change, so that you many bookings with the old schedule aren’t being made on the dates that you will no longer do the tour. The more events blocked after the change date, the better!
12. Once the date of the schedule change has passed, delete the old schedule
To no longer have to block events, all you have to do is just update the schedule to delete the old one which will leave you with only the new schedule, as I explained in steps 4 and 5. Always remember to do it for every language you offer the tour in. In addition, if you go to your bookings, just check that there aren’t any bookings left with the old schedule. If there are some, you can always modify the schedule.
You already know how to change the tour’s schedule, but are you sure that your new schedule is the best one? In this post, we explain how to choose the best schedule to get most travelers!