No minimum number of attendeesNo minimum number of attendees is required for the tour
Free booking and cancellationFree payment tour, no set price, booking and cancellation are free
Accepts electronic paymentThis tour allows payment by electronic means or credit card
Free tour Guarda: Stories of timeless giants
The trademark "Histórias Com Passados", registered in Turismo de Portugal and recognized as Nature Tourism by the Institute of Nature Conservation and Forests, arose from my passion to wander, to meet new people and places and led me to obtain certification as a guide of hiking trails. I believe that "we never really know a place if we do not walk through it", so come from there, because I would like to share and make known the city that welcomed me more than 20 years ago: Guarda, the highest city in Portugal, with more than 800 years of history.
In our time travel, we will go back to the twelfth century, with D. Sancho I, the settler, and unveil his main concerns. We will discover in giant footsteps the ancient streets, crossing the walls and centuries, until we return to the present and find out why the Rooster is judged and burned at the stake every year.
Let's meet D. Sancho I, Rui de Pina, Friar Pedro da Guarda, Lopo de Carvalho, José Maria Pedrosa and Sousa Martins.
During our trip we will have the opportunity to meet some of the oldest inhabitants of the city, they are the Green Giants, who insist on resisting the passage of years, contributing to the maintenance of biodiversity and good air quality of the first Iberian Bioclimatic City. This is a different look at the city and the people who shaped it.
We will visit:
- Estátua de D. Sancho I (Place of start and end of the tour)
- Sé Catedral (Outdoor and indoor)
- Praça Luis Vaz de Camões
- Portas D’el Rei e da Erva
- Igreja de S. Vicente (Outdoor only)
- Rua Rui de Pina
- Torre dos Ferreiros (Outdoor only)
- Largo de Frei Pedro da Guarda
- Jardim José de Lemos
- Edifício do arquivo Distrital (Outdoor only)
- Teatro Municipal da Guarda (Outdoor only)
- Parque de Saúde
- Escola de Santa Clara (Outdoor only)
What is included/ excluded in the activity:
- Histórias Com Passadas guide during the walking route.
- RNAAT License No. 506/2022 of Turismo de Portugal.
- Not included:
- Payment of the entrance ticket to the Cathedral (2,50 €)
- Meals or drinks during the walk, all consumption in any establishments eventually visited during the activity.
- Transport to the starting point of the walk.
- Anything that is not declared as included.
Additional useful information
- Please, when making the reservation, indicate the total number of people who will come (Numerous group bookings are not accepted - more than 15 visitors).
- If possible, please arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes before the tour time, to start at the indicated time.
- The route is circular, beginning and ending next to the statue of D. Sancho I; presents an easy/moderate level of difficulty and has a total of 3.36 km, with an accumulated uneven of 108 m.
- No specific equipment is required to carry out this tour (e.g. walking sticks).
What will we visit on this tour?
Meeting point:R. Dr. Miguel de Alarcão 7, 6300-684 ...R. Dr. Miguel de Alarcão 7, 6300-684 Guarda, Portugal
I'll be on the access stairs to the Se Cathedral, with an orange umbrella and the Historias Com Passadas logo ( https://maps.app.goo.gl/uvRsujDntpo3JziB7 )
1Entrance not includedSé da Guarda
One of the most interesting national monuments, which we will visit being able to observe its interior, exterior and climb to the terrace.
2Outside visitPorta d'el Rei
One of the old gates of the city of Guarda, in stone and Gothic style, classified as a National Monument.
3Outside visitPorta da Erva
One of the old entrances to the castle of Guarda, in stone and Gothic style, classified as a National Monument
4Outside visitTorre dos Ferreiros
The Blacksmith Tower is one of the best preserved defensive structures of the old walls that defended the city of Guarda, and so it is currently classified as a National Monument.
5Outside visitArquivo Distrital da Guarda
Old building of the convent of S. Francisco da Guarda.
6Outside visitTeatro Municipal da Guarda
Space of excellence of dissemination and promotion of the main cultural events in the city of Guarda
How much does this tour cost?
Free tours do not have a set price, instead, each person gives the guru at the end of the tour the amount that he or she considers appropriate (these usually range from €10 to $50 depending on satisfaction with the tour).