No minimum number of attendeesNo minimum number of attendees is required for the tour
Free booking and cancellationFree payment tour, no set price, booking and cancellation are free
Free tour in English - Hidden Hiking Trail near Downtown Taipei
Hey there!:) I am Shih-Heng from Taipei...an enthusiastic road cyclist, an amateur violinist, a data analyst during the week, and of course, your English/Spanish/Chinese tour guide in Taipei! I started to work as a part-time tour guide outside of regular office hours (as a SQL/Python geek) since 2017, right after studying in Spain/Denmark/Slovenia for my master's degree and joining free walking tours myself in 20 European countries. Unlike most tour guides you meet in other touristy cities/countries, I am not making a living by offering these tours (don't get me wrong, I am still a licensed tour guide) - so why am I here anyway? Well, it is because I see walking tours as nice opportunities to share my knowledge about Taiwanese history/nature/culture with you, and get to know more about your own culture:D I have a great interest in languages, since I not only speak native Chinese (Mandarin) as well as Taiwanese but also English, Spanish, Vietnamese, and a bit of German and Catalan. I am also quite familiar with the cultures in Europe, Southeast Asia, and Latin America, so if you happen to be from these regions, I am pretty sure that you will understand the Taiwanese culture more easily from the stories I prepare for you on my tours. So far, I have shown 2,000+ international travelers from 30+ countries around Taipei City, and I look forward to seeing you as well! Are you a foodie, nature lover, or culture explorer? If so, I am exactly your ideal mate to accompany you in getting to know Taipei and Taiwan better! Book a tour with me or send me a private message to personalize your itinerary (especially if you are passionate about hiking, cycling, and food)!
🚩Who is recommended to book this tour?
- Nature lovers who would like to go slow hiking and see panoramic views of the city
- People who have traveled to Taiwan and are now eager to explore the less touristy places that are not well known among international travelers
Thinking of hiking in Taipei but don't want to exhaust yourself? Well, here is the best itinerary for you! 😎
Although normally associated with the image of a modern city, Taipei is surprisingly home to more than 100 hiking trails. On this tour I am going to take you to one of the steepest paths in the neighborhood called Neihu as well as the biggest temple here. In addition to enjoying the panoramic view of Taipei and getting closer to the amazing nature, being a citizen has been living in this neighborhood for more than 20 years, I will also share some historical and religious stories that only locals know here. At the end of our tour, you will have the opportunity to buy some local agricultural products. We are also going to try the typical Taiwanese tofu pudding (douhua)!
🌳This tour includes the following stops:
- We take advantage of nature in the park along the Dagouxi River
- Yuanjue Waterfall, perhaps the most accessible waterfall in Taipei
- Yuanjue Temple, the oldest Buddhist temple in Neihu
- Bishan Temple, a Taoist temple that is the largest temple in that neighborhood
- Baishihu Suspension Bridge
- Snack time at a tofu pudding shop
- We will take the local bus to return to Neihu subway station
- Although this is NOT a super challenging hike, for people rarely exercise or never do hiking, please reconsider your physical condition before making the reservation
- Wear suitable walking shoes; sneakers/trainers will be just fine!
- Bring your EasyCard or coins to take local bus, a single trip costs TW$15
- While offering walking tours is just my hobby (and yes I am one of the few licensed Spanish tour guides in Taiwan), your tips will be highly appreciated!:) There is no fixed amount regarding how much the travelers should tip, but as helpful information, the minimum hourly rate according to the Taiwanese law is 6 USD/hour or TW$ 180/hour
- If the weather is bad and it is not so safe to go hiking, I am going to recommend some tourist sites where you can explore on your own. For me, the safety of travelers is always above all things!:)
What will we visit on this tour?
Meeting point:Dahu Pk, Neihu District, Taipei City,...Dahu Pk, Neihu District, Taipei City, Taiwan 114
Outside exit 1 of Dahu Park Station (Brown Line) you can find me wearing camouflage hat and sign showing "GuruWalk"
1Outside visitDagouxi Waterfront Park
2Outside visitCataratas Yuanjue
Perhaps the most accessible waterfall in Taipei City! This is where the locals in Neihu always come to appreciate the nature and learn about the geology of Taipei
3Free admissionYuanjue Temple
4Free admissionBishanyan Kaizhang Shengwang Temple
This temple might not be as famous and busy as Longshan Temple in the city center, but this is exactly why we are exploring the spot. Being a gigantic temple sitting on a slope in Taipei's suburbs, it provides a breathtaking panoramic view just as the well-known Elephant Mountain does. Come visit, and you will be "wowed"!
5Outside visitBaishihu Suspension Bridge
6Free admissionMingguwu Bakery
After the short walk, we will enjoy some local tea and snacks here to refresh ourselves a bit before heading back to the metro station.
7Outside visitMRT Neihu Station
How much does this tour cost?
Free tours do not have a set price, instead, each person gives the guru at the end of the tour the amount that he or she considers appropriate (these usually range from €10 to $50 depending on satisfaction with the tour).