Free booking and cancellationFree payment tour, no set price, booking and cancellation are free
Free Tour Old City of Barcelona: the Gothic Quarter and La Ribera
Hello everyone and welcome to Barcelona. I am a passionate historian and an expert world traveler. Born in Naples (Italy), after completing a BA in History, I have traveled extensively around the world and have lived in London, Dubai, Berlin and São Paulo. Barcelona has had a special place in my heart since spending 6 months on an Erasmus project. So what are you waiting for, don't hesitate and let me show you the great Enchantress. Barcelona! and with all our sins, ours! ours! Barcelona ours! the great enchantress! - Joan Maragall Menjar ben I cagar fort /I no tingues por de la mort – Eat well shit strongly and you will have not fear of death -Catalan Proverb
We will take a leisurely paced walking tour through Barcelona Ciutat Vella which includes the oldest Neighbourhoods of the city: the Gothic Quarter and the Ribera.
We will be looking at the history of the city as well as the cultural traditions of Catalonia, what they are passionate about.
Our two hours and a half route will take you through the old city's quintessential sightseeing:
- The Roman walls
- Saint Jaume square: Palau de la Ciutat and de la Generalitat
- Temple of Augustus
- Plaça del Rei
- Palau Reial Major and Palatine Chapel de Sant Agata
- Palau Lloctinent: Subirachs San Jordi's door
- The Cathedral of Santa Eulalia
- Patio Museum Mares
- Plaça Nova
- Archdeacon House
- La Puerta Praetoria, Portal del Bisbe
- The Bishop's bridge
- Sant Felipe Neri Square
- The Jewish medieval quarter and the Synagogue Major
- The Human Pyramids Monument
- Basílica de los Santos Mártires Justo y Pastor: La Morenita
- La Mercè
- El Born
- Fossar de Les Moreres
- Santa Maria del Mar
- El Born Centre de Cultura i Memòria
As we progress through the city sights, we will be able to answer all the following questions and many others:
- Did really Hercules founded Barcelona?
- Did you know that the first known Barcelonian was called Caius Coelius?
- What is the Diada?
- What’s the origin of the Catalan Flag?
- Why is the Catalan language so different from Spanish?
- Why are there marijuana leaves on Colon’s column?
- Are the scantily dressed ladies in Picasso Ladies d’ Avignon really french?
- Was the Eiffel tower going to be installed in Barcelona?
- Why the Eixample urban plan looks so peculiar?
- Why was the statue of Antonio Lopez, one of the De Medici of the xix century Barcelona, removed?
Meeting point:Pl. de Sant Jaume, 3, 08002 Barcelona...Pl. de Sant Jaume, 3, 08002 Barcelona, Spain
We are meeting In front of the STARBUCKS store in Placa Sant Jaume 3, 08002 Barcelona. This is the most important square in town since Roman Times. One finds here the Town Hall (ajutamiento) and the palace of the government of Catalonia ( Generalitat)
How much does this tour cost?
Free tours do not have a set price, instead, each person gives the guru at the end of the tour the amount that he or she considers appropriate (these usually range from €10 to $50 depending on satisfaction with the tour).
Who is this tour for?
What should you know?
Others tours from this guru
Others cities to visit after Barcelona
Find similar guruwalks in Barcelona