Free booking and cancellationFree payment tour, no set price, booking and cancellation are free
Free Tour for Foodies: Gastronomy and Ruin Bars
Hello travelers! We are a group of guides happy to live and work in Budapest! With degrees in History of Art and Tourism. And after years of experience in the city, we have come up with the recipe for the perfect free tour: INGREDIENTS: -300 grams of history (just enough so that you don't get saturated) -150 grams of legends -several tablespoons of curiosities, gossip and news - "salt shaker" to the taste of the guide -A handful of tricks so that you learn to move around the city - A guide wanting to enjoy yourself - A motivated public PREPARATION: We start by adding the 300 grams of history, because every tour has to start with a good historical context. But immediately we add 150 grams of legends to the mixture in small doses and stir well until a well-homogeneous and balanced dough is left. Let it rest and add salt to taste until you start to hear a few laughs. That is the signal that tells you that the mix is on the right track. It is then the right time to add several spoonfuls of curiosities, gossip and current affairs, always at the request of the diner. All this is put in the oven for 2 and a half hours at maximum power. And to avoid that the dough does not drop, go adding tricks and recommendations. If the steps have been followed well, we assure you a good free tour. And if the recipe is also made in Budapest, success is guaranteed!
Let's eat Budapest!
Typical dishes, wines, spirits and hundreds of curiosities. Gastronomy is a reflection of the local culture. Get to know the funniest history of Budapest and get hundreds of gastronomic recommendations.
What we see?
- Central Market. We will visit the market stalls to discover the most characteristic products of Hungary: mangalica pork, 🐖goose foie gras, paprika .🌶️… And much more.
- Vaci utca and its many restaurants. What should you try, Goulash 🍲 or Langosh ? How is Tokaj wine? 🍾What is the history of the Palinka ? What are the most curious traditions of the Hungarian people?...
- Kürtoskalács workshop . The oldest Hungarian sweet, shaped like a chimney. We'll pause so you can try it out.
- Parisi Udvar. One of the most luxurious cafes in the city, where we will talk about Hungarian pastries. 🍰 How did Budapest become the capital with the most cafes in Europe at the end of the s. XIX? ☕ We'll tell you...
- Astoria Hotel. There we will talk about the Soviet era . Did you know that Stalin created his own cookbook? And what went crazy with preserves? 🥫 You're going to hallucinate...
- Great Synagogue . There we will discover how the Orthodox community lives. What do they cook on Saturdays? What is kosher food ?
- And to finish in style, we will visit the famous Ruin Bars! Why did they arise? And of course, we'll teach you how to order beer and toast in Hungarian! 🍻
Without a doubt, this is the most appetizing tour in the whole city :) And you will do it accompanied by professional guides, ready to share all their favorite restaurants with you!
Observations: Drinks are not included, but during the tour there will be a stop where you can eat and drink whatever you want.
Minimum group of 6 people for the tour to start.
What will we visit on this tour?
Meeting point:Budapest, Fővám Square, Fővám tér, 10...Budapest, Fővám Square, Fővám tér, 1056 Hungary
In front of the Great Central Market with green umbrellas
1Outside visitCentral Market Hall
2Outside visitDohány Street Synagogue
3Outside visitSzimpla Kert
4Outside visitVáci Street
7Outside visitElisabeth Bridge
How much does this tour cost?
Free tours do not have a set price, instead, each person gives the guru at the end of the tour the amount that he or she considers appropriate (these usually range from €10 to $50 depending on satisfaction with the tour).
Who is this tour for?
What should you know?
Others tours from this guru
Others cities to visit after Budapest
Find similar guruwalks in Budapest