No minimum number of attendeesNo minimum number of attendees is required for the tour
Free booking and cancellationFree payment tour, no set price, booking and cancellation are free
Adana history & food free walking tour
I am a Turkish freelance architect and an instructor at the architectural faculty of Çukurova University, Adana. I also have work experience in archeology and ecological projects as well as architecture. I am a history nerd and a food enthusiast, also a classical guitarist. I lived in Russia for a year so i’m fluent in Russian. Also can speak french, hebrew, serbian, arabic (levels in descending order). Very willing to know new people and learn from their experiences. Feel free to contact me!
I gladly offer guided walking tours in my home city Adana, which started to attract more tourists with its many festivals and food culture. As a passionate foodie and a history nerd; I can provide fun facts, insight, and stories you cannot find anywhere else on the internet.
The city is at the crossroads of historic trade routes that remained unchanged for several millennia, which kept its name for 3500+ years. The city is still a major stop on a route between several touristically marketed places. However, Adana and Cilicia overall has been overlooked and not well marketed. So tourists pass by but are not told stories about what they see.
Since the tourism infrastructure has only started to develop here, many of the city’s hidden gems still stay, well…, hidden. So that’s where I come into play. To explain how “Turkey” works, with all its differences between regions and transformation stories.
So what can I guide you for? Here’s a list:
- Major historical buildings and landmarks.
- Bridges, mosques, churches and hamams.
- Food tours, hidden gems, street food, vegan food, posh food, offal culture, drinks all on the route.
- Archeological sites within the center.
- Castle remains, tepebağ mound.
- Main historical streets and the modern developed area and its urban planning history.
- Historical industrial facilities and museums.
- Turkish and turkic history of cilicia
- History of christianity within cilicia
- History of islam and islamization of Turks
- Cinema culture of the city
- Natural history of the region
- Entertainment culture and history
- Culinary culture, local cuisine history
- Urban sociology
- Wars and migrations
- Medicinal history of the city and the region
- Industrial and logistic history
- Architectural history of anatolian civilizations, romans, byzantines, abbasids, armenian kingdom, beyliks, ottomans and modern republic
As you may guess, there are so many layers of culture, history, ethnicity, food, natural transformation, architecture, archeology and geopolitics. So I’ll gladly tell you all about them. And if you’re interested in one specific topic, the whole info can be specified on that theme too. Just ask!
I have no animosity towards any culture or religion. Regardless of your background, I’m more than happy to guide you. So feel free to ask about any sensitive topics or taboos that you’re curious about. I find no offense in them and I gladly answer all the questions you ask.
Meeting point:Reşatbey, Atatürk Cad., 01120 Seyhan/...Reşatbey, Atatürk Cad., 01120 Seyhan/Adana, Turkey
I will be in front of the municipality building, Adana büyükşehir belediyesi, facing Atatürk Caddesi. I will be the curly guy wearing a Hittite sun necklace.
How much does this tour cost?
Free tours do not have a set price, instead, each person gives the guru at the end of the tour the amount that he or she considers appropriate (these usually range from €10 to $50 depending on satisfaction with the tour).