Free booking and cancellationFree payment tour, no set price, booking and cancellation are free
Legends of Cuenca
Hi! My name is Cristian and I am from Cuenca, Spain. 3 years ago I started working as a guide in my land and some time later, together with a friend, I was the co-founder of a tourism company. I obtained the title of official tourist guide almost 2 years ago and, since then, my purpose is to disseminate the history, the legends, and the coolest and most interesting things of Cuenca to anyone who wants to know it. Today, I am The Juggler of History, so I tell the history of Cuenca in a rigorous, entertaining, and professional way. I'm delighted to be your guide in Cuenca and that together we not only get to know it but together we discover it: its history, its culture, its heritage, it's past and it's present. Let yourself be guided by the minstrel of history. We sure had a great time!
Discover Cuenca in a different way, through its legends. Let yourself be enveloped by the mysteries of this medieval city.
Our meeting point will be the fountain of the Plaza Mayor, in the Plaza Mayor, in front of the stairs of the Cathedral, next to Globalcaja.
Our first stop will be the neighborhood of San Miguel, where legend states that there were ghosts that frightened the population... to go to our next point, where we will tell you the legend behind a small hooliganism that exists in the city, the Eyes of the Mora.
Later, we will go down to the Angustias hermitage, where we will tell some legends that are very little known to the people of Cuenca themselves, as well as the most famous legend of the city, which inspired Bécquer for one of his works.
We will go up the way we came and we will go, along the Júcar ring road, towards the first Christian church in the city, the church of San Pedro, to tell the legend of a blessed woman who is said to be buried under the steps of the temple. Right in front we will tell the legend of the House of the Mermaid, and we will discover if there are mermaids, with their songs, in the city of Cuenca...
Later we will go down the Ronda del Huécar, telling the love story of Don Julián and Doña Angustias, until we reach the Plaza Mayor again to tell a mystery that relates the great prophet Nostradamus with Cuenca and its Cathedral... to advance direction Hanging Houses and narrate a beautiful legend that occurred inside and the legend of the conquest of Cuenca.
Finally, we will end the tour in the famous Plaza de Mangana, where, at the foot of the tower of the same name, we will tell the most terrifying legend of Cuenca, the one whose protagonists are witches from the 17th century.
- Plaza Mayor Fountain, Plaza Mayor (starting point)
- San Miguel neighborhood
- Saint Nicholas Square: legend of Saint Nicholas
- The Eyes of the Mora
- Descent to Las Angustias and Angustias hermitage:
*Legend of Giralte of Holland
* Fountain of sighs
* Cross of the Convert
- Church of Saint Peter, legend of the Blessed
- Mermaid House
- Christ of the Passage
- Plaza Mayor: mystery of Nostradamus
- Statue of Alfonso VIII: conquest of Cuenca
- Hanging Houses: the legend of Fray Pedro de Orellana
- Mangana Square: the Witches of Mangana
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE
Travelers, we know perfectly well that this is a free tour platform, so given some somewhat negative opinions that only criticized the fact that we give a ticket at the beginning of the visit, we clarified it to you, although we always do it at the beginning of the tour, why we deliver it.
We not only do free tours, but we work with many platforms, some with prior payment and others in which the client pays when arriving at our meeting point. Many people choose free tour platforms without really knowing what it is or how much they have to give, and for all those doubts, this website has a section of doubts in which there is already an answer, so we focus on what is important: we give a ticket, in which the amount reflects how we value our service, since it is essential to take it to a possible tax inspection and because said ticket acts as a simplified invoice. At no time are you asked to pay that amount, but rather you have to bring it. There are many people who prefer to pay that amount and then remain calm about the payment and other people prefer to give whatever they want at the end of the tour (of course, there are also scoundrels who leave before or at the end of the tour and do not give anything, but we don't count those types of people). That said, it is necessary that you bring your corresponding ticket, which does not imply that we are going to visit any monument, but simply that you have to bring it, so that we can declare our taxes.
Additional information for the traveler:
- Confirmation of attendance is requested . Many times reservations are made but then the tour is not attended, causing, for example, there to be no places available for people who are really interested and making the management, logistics and planning work more difficult for the guide. Therefore, please confirm if you are coming to the tour. If there is a reservation of only two people who have not confirmed and do not respond, the guide will cancel the tour.
- In low season, the minimum to take the tour is 6 people.
- The tour can be done with a child's stroller, but it is much better and more comfortable to carry a backpack with the little ones, since in some sections there will be stairs.
- If reservations are made less than 5 hours in advance, the guide reserves the right to make the itinerary depending on whether you can make the visit or not.
- It is a perfectly complementary tour with the "Daytime Wonder" or "Night Spell" tour, since 100% of the content changes.
Meeting point:C. San Pedro, 1, 16001 Cuenca, SpainC. San Pedro, 1, 16001 Cuenca, Spain
I will be at the fountain in the Plaza Mayor, in front of the Cathedral and next to the Globalcaja ATM. I will wear a yellow, white or black uniform.
How much does this tour cost?
Free tours do not have a set price, instead, each person gives the guru at the end of the tour the amount that he or she considers appropriate (these usually range from €10 to $50 depending on satisfaction with the tour).