No minimum number of attendeesNo minimum number of attendees is required for the tour
Free booking and cancellationFree payment tour, no set price, booking and cancellation are free
Accepts electronic paymentThis tour allows payment by electronic means or credit card
Edinburgh in Books and films - A Christmas Carol and Harry Potter to Marvel and James Bond
A bit of history, a bit of trivia and a wee dash of stand-up. Born and bred in Edinburgh, I worked as a staff reporter, feature writer and cinema editor on The Scotsman for 17 years and subsequently wrote regularly for the Guardian and London Times. I have written and edited several books, including The Times on Cinema and On Location - The Full Fan's Guide to Britain and Ireland. Reviews for my Royal Mile tour with Sandemans... "Absolutely brilliant tour. Brian is a multigenerational Edinburgh resident who knows the city and the history better than anyone. Can’t recommend more highly. Take all his tours!" Tim "Great walking tour, extremely informative and fun. Particularly enjoyed all the story telling by our guide, Brian! Definitely recommend it :)" Tamanna Wahi "Brian was very entertaining and knowledgeable and we really enjoyed our Edinburgh walking tour with him." Rajdeep Bhattacharyya "Had a wonderful tour with Brian today! He was entertaining, engaging and has a great sense of humour. Also loved hearing his unique perspective on Edinburgh and some great personal stories 👏🏼" Hanna Standvold
In 1993 I met an American who had come to Edinburgh as a tourist. He had a wildly ambitious idea for a historical epic film. He had never written a film before. Three years later I was with Randall Wallace at the Oscars when Braveheart won the Oscar for Best Picture.
- Hear how a meeting I had with an American tourist took me to the Oscars and changed my life.
- Walk the historic streets that were once walked by a famous author who came here as a secret agent 300 years ago.
- Learn about Edinburgh's link with Marvel superheroes and why Fast and Furious was not really quite so fast or furious.
- Compare the size of your handprints with those of JK Rowling.
- Find out the link between one of Rowling's best known characters and Scotland's worst poet.
- And the link between James Bond and Sean Connery that goes back to school days.
- Discover the truth behind Jekyll and Hyde.. and Sherlock Holmes It is all here.... Conan Doyle, Stevenson, Scott and Burns.
- Follow in the footsteps of Julia Roberts when she set a world record with her $10 million fee in a movie that no one has ever heard of.
- Visit Scrooge's cemetery and hear why Dickens got it all wrong.
- Hear about the cute little Edinburgh dog who received the city's highest honour, had two statues erected in his honour and inspired a hit Disney movie.
What will we visit on this tour?
Meeting point:26 Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh EH1, UK26 Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh EH1, UK
Oitside the main gates of Greyfriars Kirkyard, 26A Candlemaker Row, Edinburgh, EH1 2QQ. (Next to s Greyfriars Bobby's Bar. Umbrella, either red or blue, grey, red and beige
1Outside visitGreyfriars Kirkyard
2Outside visitRoyal Mile
3Outside visitScott Monument
4Outside visitEdinburgh Castle
5Outside visitDeacon Brodies Tavern
6Outside visitJK Rowling’s Handprints
7Outside visitThomas Riddell's Grave
How much does this tour cost?
Free tours do not have a set price, instead, each person gives the guru at the end of the tour the amount that he or she considers appropriate (these usually range from €10 to $50 depending on satisfaction with the tour).
Who is this tour for?
What should you know?
Others cities to visit after Edinburgh
Find similar guruwalks in Edinburgh