No minimum number of attendeesNo minimum number of attendees is required for the tour
Free booking and cancellationFree payment tour, no set price, booking and cancellation are free
Free Robben Island untold Walking Tour
Good day, My name is Michael and I am a registered Regional and Provincial Cultural Tour Guide, as well as a registered Overnight Off Trail Mountain Adventure Tour Guide. I was born in Cape Town and married with one daughter. I have worked and travelled throughout South Africa, as well as in many countries in Europe. We also do tours all over South Africa including Rock Art Tours, Safaris, Adventure Tours, Wine Tours, National Parks, and more.
Robben Island untold
"Secret places . . . we'll take you there"
* This is a walking tour in and around the V+A Waterfront, and not a tour to the island itself.
Meet your guide outside the ticket office of the Two Oceans Aquarium. The guide will be wearing an official tourist guide badge.
******** ! Do not wait at the ticket office for the red sightseeing bus ! ********
- Places of interest
- Khoisan history (indigenous people of the Cape)
- Works of art
- Plants and flowers
- The early Portuguese arrivals
- The Dutch East India Company
- The British influences
- Cultural heritage
- Religious prisoners
- Leper colony
- Political prisoners
- Escaped prisoners
- National monuments
- Sites of significance
All our tours are based on proper research and facts, and the information shared is not meant to be disrespectful to anyone's gender, country, religion, ethnicity, culture, ancestors, place of origin, political persuasion, traditions or practices.
Your guide will take you back in time and talk about how Robben Island was named, to how the island has played and important part of the history and the development of the Cape of Good Hope.
A family member of the guide is actually a surviving Political Prisoner from the apartheid era. He served many years on the island, his jail cell being two cells away from Nelson Mandela's.
There a many different reasons why visitors have an interest in Robben Island, and your guide will detail these for you.
Why choose a 90 minute walking tour?
- This tour is a "must do" for anyone who wishes to take the trip across Table Bay for a visit to the island. You will have a good background to start off with, including a better understanding of the experience.
- It is also a good way to learn about Robben Island, if for instance, the weather is too bad for the passage or the trip is out of commission for whatever reason.
- A tour to the island lasts about 5 hours on average, if you do not have the time to spare for a tour to the island itself, this 90 minute experience is just the way to go.
- Some people may experience sea sickness, may be in the final stages of a pregnancy, or may be afraid of a sea passage. Our tour is a more relaxing and a safer option.
The tour finishes back in the heart of the V+A Waterfront where one can enjoy refreshments at a restaurant in the area.
We are ready to welcome you!
Meeting point:Shop 005 Breakwater Blvd, Victoria & ...Shop 005 Breakwater Blvd, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, 8001, South Africa
Please meet your guide outside the Toy Kingdom Store. The guide will be wearing an official tourist guide badge.
How much does this tour cost?
Free tours do not have a set price, instead, each person gives the guru at the end of the tour the amount that he or she considers appropriate (these usually range from €10 to $50 depending on satisfaction with the tour).