No minimum number of attendeesNo minimum number of attendees is required for the tour
Free booking and cancellationFree payment tour, no set price, booking and cancellation are free
Accepts electronic paymentThis tour allows payment by electronic means or credit card
Panama Viejo in the 17th century: stories and lost secrets
I am an archaeologist and I like to share what I have learned over the years. I have worked in museums and with visitors for a long time, which allows me to approach guided tours from a professional point of view, bringing a novel approach.
A city full of secrets
( Tour for people who enjoy outdoor walks, on stony ground ).
In 1519, Pedrarias Dávila reached the Bay of Panama and founded the city that became the Capital of Castilla del Oro , a strategic point for the Carrera de Indias and the origin of the current Republic of Panama. Just over 100 years later, in January 1671 , Henry Morgan invaded it, causing its destruction and abandonment.
The ruins that remain today, remains of churches, houses and public buildings from the 17th century, keep the secrets of the city and of those inhabitants who one day abandoned their homes to save their lives. Mysteries of yesteryear, that little by little archeology is revealing.
Join me to meet her ! You will be able to imagine this ancient city with the eyes of those who inhabited it just before its ruin.
- We take the internal transport to the Plaza Mayor,
- We enter the cathedral and from the top of its bell tower we will see the surroundings and look at the horizon in search of the route to Peru,
- We will see the remains of the houses of the bourgeoisie that lived next to the square and the churches of the Society of Jesus,
- We will walk to the San Juan de Dios Hospital, the Church of the Immaculate Conception and the cistern of the nuns,
- We finish the tour in the church of San Francisco, from where you can continue enjoying the ruins or go to the museum.
* This tour is not suitable for people with reduced or different physical capacities. For you, I have another route, just as interesting and enjoyable, between my tours.
* Remember :
- Punctuality is essential.
- Panama's weather can go from intense heat to heavy rain: bring a cap or hat, water, and a collapsible umbrella (just in case).
- - We are going to walk among the ruins, closed shoes will be a good alternative.
- - This visit does not include: transportation to the site, entrance to the Archaeological Park, meals, sandwiches or snacks (although you can find a modest cafeteria inside the site).
- - Cash, Paypal, Yappy or Nequi are accepted as means of payment to thank or value the tour.
What will we visit on this tour?
Meeting point:2G34+FJ7, Av. Cincuentenario, Panamá,...2G34+FJ7, Av. Cincuentenario, Panamá, Panama
I'll wait for you inside the archaeological site, next to the Plaza Mayor stop, near the museum. You will recognize me by the GuruWalk logo
1Free admissionRuinas de Panamá Viejo
2Free admissionCasas de la familia Terrín
3Free admissionRuinas del Hospital San Juan de Dios
4Free admissionCatedral de Panamá Viejo
5Free admissionRuinas de la Compañía de Jesús
6Free admissionRuinas de La Merced
7Outside visitAljibe de las monjas
How much does this tour cost?
Free tours do not have a set price, instead, each person gives the guru at the end of the tour the amount that he or she considers appropriate (these usually range from €10 to $50 depending on satisfaction with the tour).