No minimum number of attendeesNo minimum number of attendees is required for the tour
Free booking and cancellationFree payment tour, no set price, booking and cancellation are free
Taiwan History in a Nutshell - Free English Walking Tour
Hey there!:) I am Shih-Heng from Taipei...an enthusiastic road cyclist, an amateur violinist, a data analyst during the week, and of course, your English/Spanish/Chinese tour guide in Taipei! I started to work as a part-time tour guide outside of regular office hours (as a SQL/Python geek) since 2017, right after studying in Spain/Denmark/Slovenia for my master's degree and joining free walking tours myself in 20 European countries. Unlike most tour guides you meet in other touristy cities/countries, I am not making a living by offering these tours (don't get me wrong, I am still a licensed tour guide) - so why am I here anyway? Well, it is because I see walking tours as nice opportunities to share my knowledge about Taiwanese history/nature/culture with you, and get to know more about your own culture:D I have a great interest in languages, since I not only speak native Chinese (Mandarin) as well as Taiwanese but also English, Spanish, Vietnamese, and a bit of German and Catalan. I am also quite familiar with the cultures in Europe, Southeast Asia, and Latin America, so if you happen to be from these regions, I am pretty sure that you will understand the Taiwanese culture more easily from the stories I prepare for you on my tours. So far, I have shown 2,000+ international travelers from 30+ countries around Taipei City, and I look forward to seeing you as well! Are you a foodie, nature lover, or culture explorer? If so, I am exactly your ideal mate to accompany you in getting to know Taipei and Taiwan better! Book a tour with me or send me a private message to personalize your itinerary (especially if you are passionate about hiking, cycling, and food)!
Is this your first time traveling to Taiwan? Are you the type of traveler that always want to learn more about the history and cultural fun facts of cities you visit? If so, this is the walking tour for you! 😉
By joining this tour, you will understand some fun facts including:
- Dutch, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and many other cultures have either ruled this island or left their footprints in Taiwan
- In 2021, The Economist considered Taiwan the "most dangerous place on earth"
- Besides being famous for producing semiconductors/chips, Taiwan is actually where the modern and the antique live together harmoniously in everyday life
- Taiwan is one of the few countries in the world not being a member of the United Nations
Who is recommended to join this tour? 🚩
- First-timers in Taiwan hoping to gain fundamental knowledge primarily related to the history, lifestyle, politics, and cultural fun facts of this country
- People having traveled to Taipei City already but are eager to know more about the interesting stories and little details behind those touristy spots and not just take pictures
This tour includes the following spots, which are mainly the must-visits of Taipei City:
- Longshan Temple
- Bopiliao Historical Block
- Presidential Office Building
- 228 Peace Park
- Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall
- Wear shoes suitable for walking since it will be a 3-hour walk, but don't worry, we will have break time!
- Bring your umbrella or raincoat! ☔ Because this tour is going to take place for sure, rain or shine😎
- Remember to bring your masks, since so far visitors to indoor attractions (e.g. temples) are still required to wear masks at all times
What will we visit on this tour?
Meeting point:No. 153號, Section 1, Xiyuan Rd, Wanhu...No. 153號, Section 1, Xiyuan Rd, Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan 108
Right outside Exit 1 of MRT Longshan Temple Station (Blue Line), you will find me wearing a camouflage hat and holding a red sign "GuruWalk"
1Free admissionLongshan Temple
Built in 1738, Longshan Temple is the oldest and one of the biggest temples in Taipei City. Here, you will understand the general "SOPs" regarding how most Taiwanese worship the gods!
2Free admissionBopiliao Historical Block
With a history of more than 200 years, Bopiliao is one of the only 2 streets preserved with original architectural styles dating back to the Qing Dynasty time in Taipei City.
3Outside visitXimen Red House Outdoor Bar Area
A business and residential area built by the Japanese in the early 20th century, and also a place that means a lot to the LGBTQ community in Taiwan.
4Outside visitPresidential Office Building
We will briefly talk about Taiwan's political evolution from its authoritarianism after World WAR II to today's liberal democracy. The relationship between Taiwan and China will also be explained in a fairly "neutral" yet insightful way.
5Outside visit228 Peace Memorial Park
6Outside visitLiberty Square Arch
At the end of this tour, you will know the stories about why Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall is actually a very controversial site while being one of the most visited tourist spots among international travelers. The tour ends here between 12:00pm and 12:30pm, depending on the group size and the weather condition on the activity date.
How much does this tour cost?
Free tours do not have a set price, instead, each person gives the guru at the end of the tour the amount that he or she considers appropriate (these usually range from €10 to $50 depending on satisfaction with the tour).